Click here to read 2018 Piermont Library upcoming election press release
On Wednesday, December 5th, 2018, Piermont voters will be asked to elect three trustees for the Dennis P. McHugh Piermont Public Library. The vote will take place at the Library, 25 Flywheel Park West. Polls will be open from 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
At present there are three known candidates for three trustee positions:
- Mitchell Eiss, a retired financial services executive, who is seeking a first term.
- Len Hunt, a local building contractor, who is seeking a first term.
- Cara Stepanian, a lifelong educator, who is seeking a second term.
Any registered Piermont voter, however, may run for election as a trustee. Potential candidates are required to submit a petition signed by twenty-five eligible Piermont voters. Blank petitions are available at the Library and must be returned to the Library by November 20, 2018.
Among the candidates, Eiss has been a resident of Rockland County for 15 years and of Piermont for 2 years. He retired from the financial services industry after a thirty-year career. Hunt has been a Piermont resident for 48 years. He has owned Rockland County Home Improvement for 29 years. Stepanian has lived in Piermont for 10 years. She has taught literature and writing at both college and high school levels.
The library’s holdings include new releases of adult and children’s books, movies, and music as well as e-books, digital audiobooks and downloadable music.
The library also offers a wide range of programs for toddlers and older children, a monthly free film showing, monthly exhibits by local artists, book talks, game nights, local history exhibits and lectures, student art exhibitions, monthly book clubs, concerts, adult summer reading, and mah jongg.
Library Activity Statistics, 2017-2018
- 1,659 Piermont residents – approximately 66 percent – hold library cards
- 375 programs offered, with a total of 4,942 people attending and additional 269 people using our space for meetings
- 19,639 holdings circulated (17,693 physical items and 1,946 e-books, digital audiobooks and other digital content)
- 18,073 visitors to the library